“Our purpose is to bring glory to God by making disciples who are growing toward maturity, being equipped for ministry in the Church, and serving to accomplish Christ’s mission in the world through gospel-centered worship, community, discipleship, service, and multiplication. To accomplish this goal, we partner with the Southern Baptist Convention and the Augusta Baptist Association, and we actively participate in mission work in North America and internationally.“
History of the Church
Hephzibah Baptist Church was established in 1862 in a small village just south of Augusta, Georgia, known as Brothersville, in the midst of the American Civil War. It grew up out of a seedbed planted by the Hephzibah Baptist Association, who sought a location to have a Baptist-sponsored high school. After purchasing the Brotherville Academy building the school opened in 1861 and was called Hephzibah Baptist School. The church met in the chapel of the high school for 26 years. In 1870, Brothersville was incorporated into the State of Georgia as the town of Hephzibah and the high school simply went on to be called Hephzibah High School which is the second oldest high school in Richmond County. In 1888, the church completed construction on a new meeting place near the school, at a cost of $2,700.00, located at the corner of Highway 88 and Brothersville Road where the Hephzibah City Hall building now stands. It served as the church’s primary house of worship for 79 years. In 1967 the church completed construction on a new building directly across the road where the current Hephzibah Baptist Church is located now. For more details read “150-Year History of Hephzibah Baptist Church” by Jerry E. Cole.
It is noteworthy to mention that the original church building, which was located at the corner of Highway 88 and Brothersville Road still stands to this day. It was sold and moved to its present location on Hephzibah McBean Road, about one mile away, and is listed as one of Georgia’s historic rural churches. Read more and view some beautiful photos of the original church building at the web site Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.